We are happy to announce that ABC News’ anchor David Muir will be reporting on the trip from Kenya for World News and Good Morning Amerca as part of the network’s global health series.
Our Itinerary for the Week Includes:
Day 1: Kisumu, Kenya
• Travel with Home-Based Testing Community Health Workers (HIV/AIDS)
• See vaccines at work and meet moms-to-be at Siaya Clinical Research Center (Vaccines/Maternal and Child Health)
Daily Action: Today we will visit health clinics that receive direct funding from the United States. Sign ONE’s petition asking Congress not to cut funding for these effective programs that are saving lives. Then ask 5 friends to do the same.
Day 2: Kisumu, Kenya
• Meet with women undergoing pregnancy monitoring and birth attendants at the Lwak Nutritional Center (Maternal and Child Health)
• Visit the women of the fishing industry at Dunga Beach (Trade)
• Meet community health workers who work with tuberculosis patients (Infectious Disease)
Daily Action: Today we will be meeting with couples and mothers living with HIV, Tuberculosis, and other infectious diseases. Using the hashtag #ONEMoms, tweet a message (or messages) you’d like us to deliver to mothers in Kenya.
Day 3: Nairobi, Kenya
• Visit an early learning program at a USAID Education Site Visit (Education)
Daily Action: Today we are meeting with teachers and students in Nairobi. WatchONE’s video “Chieftainess” about a remarkable woman who is teaching her community about the importance of education. Then share the video with your friends and leave a comment:
Day 4: Karen and Nairobi, Kenya
• Speak with Kenyan women entrepreneurs and how the US Government plays a role in their business (Trade)
• Meet with members of Carolina for Kibera and learn about their programs (Development)
Daily Action: Today the bloggers are meeting with women entrepreneurs in Karen, Kenya who are leading in building their communities’ economies and providing opportunities to others. Check out ONE’s report “Africa’s Future is Female” to learn more about how women are leading a revolution on the continent. Then, using hashtag #ONEMoms tell ONE (@ONECampaign) one thing that surprised you. Or leave a comment on ONE’s Facebook page (http://facebook.com/ONE)
Day 5: Lake Naivasha, Kenya
• Visit a horticulture and daily sites run by small female farmers working with Feed the Future (Agriculture)
Daily Action: Today the bloggers are meeting with a group of women farmers near Lake Naivasha, Kenya. As you’re probably aware, the Horn of Africa is currently enduring a horrible famine. Educate yourself about what’s happening on the ground.